As our loved ones age, we want to ensure they get the best care possible. Sometimes there comes a day they when they can no longer live on their own and the care that they need requires them to be placed in a nursing home or assisted living center. Placing your loved ones in the care of another is difficult decision and you expect compassionate and respectful care. Unfortunately, the stories of abuse, neglect, and injuries are all too common.
Even though most nursing homes and assisted living centers are paid millions of dollars and held to a high standard of care by both the state and federal governments, sometimes it is just not enough to prevent injuries. Nursing home abuse still happens despite the regulations and laws placed on them.
Signs of nursing home abuse or neglect
- Physical abuse from a staff member
- Hitting, punching, slapping, etc.
- Broken bones
- Rough handling
- Emotional abuse, which can include berating a resident, threatening them with punishment, isolating them and more
- Sexual abuse
- Bed sores, dehydration, lack of toileting, malnutrition and ignoring bed calls for help
- Exploitation can comes in many forms. An example: a staff member having a resident write them checks for cash
If you suspect a loved one is experiencing abuse, always call the authorities too. You can call 911 or the adult protective services hotline at 800.752.6200.
Ways to reach us
Use the contact form on this page, or:
1544 Winchester Ave.
Ashland, KY 41101
SEND US MESSAGE: